Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Antiques Roadshow Object

What object would I take to the antiques roadshow?

Well, this is a difficult question for me because I don't really care to take any of my own personal objects to the antiques roadshow. The reasons why I value them are outside the context of knowing what an appraiser has to say about them, although I might be interested to learn the history of the object. But, all of my personal objects I value as a result of their design, functionality or sentimental value. As a result, I'm not interested in their monetary value, and may in fact be concerned that would distract from my actual attraction to them.

This is not the case, however, for objects that belong to my parents. If I had the chance, I would cart all of my dad's collections off to antiques roadshow, especially the beatles memorabilia. He has a very complete (and in someways unique) collection of everything beatles, and I would love to know what is and isn't valuable, and why. A lot of it is pure crap, but some of it is perfectly preserved and carefully handled memorabilia which could have some kind of serious value (especially in a beatles market).

My dad also collects a lot of crap, and I'm sure I will be very curious in 30 years to find out what the significance of all of the decorated glasses and the plastic figurines is to American culture and to the American antiques market. Unearthing the many treasures that belong to my parents will be exciting in the context of an antiques roadshow experience—I'm looking forward to finding out what treasures they've got squirreled away.

No comments: